We are a registered charity dedicated to providing access to justice and equality in Norfolk.
We target our services at individuals and groups, particularly those who cannot afford access to justice and representation. This includes, for example, those with long term physical and/or mental ill-health, physical and sensory disabilities and/or learning difficulties, offenders, ex-offenders, migrant workers and others who are disadvantaged. The advice we offer is non-discriminatory and confidential.
We provide the following services which are all free, independent and confidential.
- twice weekly Free Legal Advice (FLA) drop in service in our Norwich office – employment, family & general advice; also similar services at Cromer and Great Yarmouth. Please be aware we are unable to provide any advice on criminal law matters except where there is an issue of domestic abuse, e.g. any matter that involves the police or the Crown Prosecution Service.
- debt advice for vulnerable people and those with complex needs
- welfare benefits advice and representation at Tribunal
- legal advice for victims of domestic abuse
- migrant worker advice on residency status & entitlement for EEA Nationals as well as support for welfare benefit appeals
- discrimination advice and representation
- rent arrears mediation for Norwich City Council (NCC) housing tenants. This service is accessed by referral from NCC only
- family court support for private law child contact matters
Interpreters are available for all our services by arrangement.
For more details and information on how to access click on ‘Our Services’ above.
Our funding comes from a range of grants, service level agreements and donations – more information can be found in our latest Annual Report which is available here.
Free Legal Advice client
“Excellent service, so pleased I came to see you. Service, advice and staff all so useful and you’ve helped me massively. Thank you.”
Welfare Rights client
“Very impressed with the speed and efficiency of the help you gave me. The support was invaluable to me at a time when I felt unable to support myself with my appeal. “
Family Court Support Service Client
“I was so worried about things alone and felt amazed when I was approached at Court. Couldn’t have wished for anything better. Thank you”
“Yes a big thank you to all of the team at NCLS for your help I feel like a weight has been lifted. Thank you!”
Migrant Worker Client
“A great service that is easy to access and very valuable advice in complex legal situation that also changes regularly. Person delivered service much appreciated.”